We are a Church of England Grade II listed parish church. Built in 1838 as one of the largest churches in Birmingham it was much enlarged in 1856 and 1884. It is located within the historically important Edgbaston conservation area and is closely associated with the patronal Calthorpe family. The church was built originally as a chapel of ease of St Bartholomew’s and enlarged to accommodate the growing population of Edgbaston. Residents in the southern side of the parish included wealthy householders and their staff, living in large period properties. Buildings also included early asylums for the blind and deaf and dumb. The northern side of the parish was poor and the church provided an Infant School, now a modern Church of England sponsored Academy Primary.
Today, the parish community is multi-ethnic. The church supports the Karis Neighbour Scheme which looks after families, the elderly, refugees and asylum seekers. Recently commercial properties have displaced previously domestic housing. St George’s maintains an active mission to the whole parish.