The Diocese of Birmingham
St George’s is in the Diocese of Birmingham. The diocese was formed in 1905 from parts of the ancient dioceses of Lichfield and Worcester and has 195 churches in 163 parishes. Birmingham Cathedral, the mother church of the diocese at the heart of the city centre, is an early 18th century church of considerable art-historical importance. The Bishop of Birmingham, the Right Reverend David Urquhart, is the ninth to hold the title and is assisted by his suffragan, the Bishop of Aston, and two archdeacons. The diocese is administered through the Diocesan Synod, which meets three times a year, and the Bishop’s Council. Locally St George’s is in Edgbaston Deanery, which is comprised of thirteen parishes, looked after by the Area Dean and the Deanery Synod.